Fantasy Neil Gaiman Collection

Thảo luận trong 'Sách tiếng nước ngoài' bắt đầu bởi assam1719, 30/9/13.

1. assam1719

assam1719 Lớp 12

Neil Richard MacKinnon Gaiman born Neil Richard Gaiman; 10 November 1960 is an English author of short fiction, novels, comic books, graphic novels, audio theatre and films. His notable works include the comic book series The Sandman and novels Stardust, American Gods, Coraline, and The Graveyard Book. He has won numerous awards, including the Hugo, Nebula, and Bram Stoker awards, as well as the Newbery and Carnegie medals. He is the first author to win both the Newbery and the Carnegie medals for the same work, The Graveyard Book (2008).[5][6] In 2013, The Ocean at the End of the Lane was voted Book of the Year in the British National Book Awards

[​IMG]

The Ocean at the End of the Lane

by Neil Gaiman

Published June 18th 2013

Sussex, England. A middle-aged man returns to his childhood home to attend a funeral. Although the house he lived in is long gone, he is drawn to the farm at the end of the road, where, when he was seven, he encountered a most remarkable girl, Lettie Hempstock, and her mother and grandmother. He hasn't thought of Lettie in decades, and yet as he sits by the pond (a pond that she'd claimed was an ocean) behind the ramshackle old farmhouse, the unremembered past comes flooding back. And it is a past too strange, too frightening, too dangerous to have happened to anyone, let alone a small boy.

Forty years earlier, a man committed suicide in a stolen car at this farm at the end of the road. Like a fuse on a firework, his death lit a touchpaper and resonated in unimaginable ways. The darkness was unleashed, something scary and thoroughly incomprehensible to a little boy. And Lettie—magical, comforting, wise beyond her years—promised to protect him, no matter what.

A groundbreaking work from a master, The Ocean at the End of the Lane is told with a rare understanding of all that makes us human, and shows the power of stories to reveal and shelter us from the darkness inside and out. It is a stirring, terrifying, and elegiac fable as delicate as a butterfly's wing and as menacing as a knife in the dark.

"All monsters are scared.
    That's why they're monsters."

48 hours ago, when I read the last page for the first time, I had this strange, sad feeling. Like I had come to the end of something beautiful without really comprehending the beauty of it until the last minute.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane is childhood in 181 pages.

Short. Sweet. Magical. Scary. Real.

There is a reason this book is labelled as "adult" and it has nothing to do with sexual content or violence or gore. To be an adult by age is meaningless because, to truly appreciate this book, you must be an adult by experience. You must be adult enough to miss childhood.

Me, I'm not there yet. I don't miss being a child because I remember being a child. I can still see it when I turn back.

So right now, no. This is not my favorite Gaiman book.
    But in 20-odd years, it probably will be.
    Because The Ocean at the End of the Lane is one of those books.

It can only grow in appeal the older you get.

"And did I pass?"
    The face of the old woman on my right was unreadable in the gathering dusk.
    On my left the younger woman said,

"You don't pass or fail at a being a person, dear."
    Vui lòng đăng nhập hoặc đăng ký để xem link

Nguồn:
    smileyface34 (TVE)

2. Song Ngư

Song Ngư Sinh viên năm I

ashn2k
    Bác học

[​IMG]

American Gods (American Gods #1)
    by Neil Gaiman

Thể loại: Fantasy

Giới thiệu:

Shadow is a man with a past. But now he wants nothing more than to live a quiet life with his wife and stay out of trouble. Until he learns that she's been killed in a terrible accident.

Flying home for the funeral, as a violent storm rocks the plane, a strange man in the seat next to him introduces himself. The man calls himself Mr. Wednesday, and he knows more about Shadow than is possible.

When Wednesday offers to hire him as a bodyguard, Shadow reluctantly accepts. But the journey they face turns out to be more dangerous and dark than he could ever have imagined. For unbeknownst to him a war is being fought -- and the prize is the very soul of America.

Nguồn TVE

Các file đính kèm:

beobeo, cam_tn, cnct100 and 11 others like this.
  3. Song Ngư

Song Ngư Sinh viên năm I

[​IMG]

Anansi Boys (American Gods #2)
    by Neil Gaiman

Awards

Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult Literature (nominee)
    British Fantasy Society

"A writer of rare perception and endless imagination." - William Gibson

Immensely entertaining... combines the anarchy of Douglas Adams with a Wodehousian generosity of spirit." - Susanna Clarke

Nếu ai đã đọc American Gods thì có thể đọc thêm cuốn này. Có thể coi là phần sau của nó.

God is dead. Meet the kids.

When Fat Charlie's dad named something, it stuck. Like calling Fat Charlie "Fat Charlie." Even now, twenty years later, Charlie Nancy can't shake that name, one of the many embarrassing "gifts his father bestowed - before he dropped dead on a karaoke stage and ruined Fat Charlie's life.

Mr. Nancy left Fat Charlie things. Things like the tall good-looking stranger who appears on Charlie's doorstep, who appears to be the brother he never knew. A brother as different from Charlie as night is to day, a brother who's going to show Charlie how to lighten up and have a little fun...just like Dear Old Dad. And all of a sudden, life starts getting very interesting for Fat Charlie.

Because, you see, Charlie's dad wasn't just any dad. He was Anansi, a trickster god, the spider-god. Anansi is the spirit of rebellion -- he is able to overturn the social order, create wealth out of thin air, and baffle the devil.

Exciting, scary, and deeply funny, Anansi Boys is a kaleidoscope journey deep into myth, a wild adventure, and a fierce and unstoppable farce, as Neil Gaiman shows us where gods come from, and how to survive your family.

Các file đính kèm:

beobeo, cam_tn, cnct100 and 9 others like this.
  4. Song Ngư

Song Ngư Sinh viên năm I

ashn2k
    Bác học

[​IMG]

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
    by Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman

According to the Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter -the world's only _totally reliable_ guide to the future - the world will end on a Saturday.

Next Saturday, in fact.
    Just after tea.

Which means that Armageddon will happen on a Saturday night.
    There will be seas of fire, rains of fish, the moon turning to blood and the massed armies of Heaven and Hell will sort it outonce and for all.

Which is a major problem for Crowley, Hell's most approachable demon and former serpent, and his opposite number and old friend Aziraphale, genuine angel and Soho bookshop owner. They like it down here (or, in Crowley's case, up here).

So they've got no alternative but to stop the Four Motorcyclists of the Apocalypse, defeat the marching ranks of the Witchfinder's army* and - somehow - stop it all happening.

Above all (or, in Aziraphale's case, below all) they need to find and kill the Antichrist, currently the most powerful creature on Earth.

This is a shame.
    Because he's eleven years old, loves his dog even though it's really a Satanic hellhound under all that hair, really cares about the environment and is the sort of boy anyone would be proud to have as a son. He's also totally invulnerable, and a nice kid.

And if that isn't enough, they've still got Sunday to deal with. . .

* All two of them.

Các file đính kèm:

beobeo, cam_tn, Hiệu Tít and 8 others like this.
  5. Song Ngư

Song Ngư Sinh viên năm I

ashn2k
    Bác học

[​IMG]

The Graveyard Book
    by Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean

Synopsis

Bod is an unusual boy who inhabits an unusual place-he's the only living resident of a graveyard. Raised from infancy by the ghosts, werewolves, and other cemetery denizens, Bod has learned the antiquated customs of his guardians' time as well as their timely ghostly teachings-like the ability to Fade.

Can a boy raised by ghosts face the wonders and terrors of the worlds of both the living and the dead? And then there are things like ghouls that aren't really one thing or the other.

This chilling tale is Neil Gaiman's first full-length novel for middle-grade readers since the internationally bestselling and universally acclaimed Coraline. Like Coraline, this book is sure to enchant and surprise young readers as well as Neil Gaiman's legion of adult fans.

VOYA

An assassin creeps upstairs to murder the only survivor of a slaughtered family. But the baby boy is gone. Innocently he has climbed from his crib, bottom-bumped downstairs, and headed outside, before toddling into a nearby graveyard. There ghostly Mrs. Owens, who has always longed for a child, realizes his danger and determines to adopt him. A lively debate erupts among the graveyard ghosts. Mrs. Owens finally gets her way after Silas, a mysterious visitor in the graveyard, volunteers to be his guardian and to bring him food. The baby, formally named Nobody Owens, is voted the freedom of the graveyard and there he thrives, loved and cared for. The freedom of the graveyard bestows ghostly talents, and Bod is taught useful skills like Fading and Haunting. But beyond his safe home there is danger. Bod stumbles into frightening adventures in this world and another, and Silas faces death fighting an ancient Fraternal Order determined to kill the boy. Gaiman writes with charm and humor, and again he has a real winner. Readers quickly begin to care about Bod and the graveyard residents. Bod's encounter with the ghouls is brilliantly inventive. Miss Lupsecu, his substitute guardian while Silas is away, is dry-as-dust strict, a bad cook, and a friend to the death. The conclusion is satisfying, but it leaves room for a sequel. Everyone who reads this book will hope fervently that the very busy author gets around to writing one soon.

Các file đính kèm:

beobeo, cam_tn, maythangnam and 9 others like this.
  6. Song Ngư

Song Ngư Sinh viên năm I

ashn2k
    Bác học

[​IMG]

Snow, Glass, Apples
    by Neil Gaiman, Julie Dillon

Chắc hẳn ai lúc bé cũng từng đọc đi đọc lại những câu truyện cổ tích mà trong đó không thể không kể đến Snow White. Nội dung thì xoay quanh nàng công chúa Snow White chống lại mụ hoàng hậu - mẹ kế độc ác và cuối cùng bao giờ cũng là một "happy ending" blah blah blah. Vậy bạn có muốn đọc lại câu truyện kể hồi bé tí đó nhưng giờ sẽ dưới con mắt của bà mẹ kế thì như thế nào nhé!

The story retells the famous fairy tale of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves from the point of view of Snow White's stepmother, who is traditionally the villain of the piece but is here depicted as struggling desperately - and ultimately, unsuccessfully, as the "happy ending" takes place on schedule - to save the kingdom from her unnatural and monstrous stepdaughter.
    The story incorporates themes of vampirism, pedophilia, and necrophilia.

Các file đính kèm:

beobeo, cam_tn, Cải and 9 others like this.
  7. Song Ngư

Song Ngư Sinh viên năm I

ashn2k
    Bác học

[​IMG]

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere (London Below, The World of Neverwhere)
    by Neil Gaiman
    Fantasy

Richard Mayhew is an unassuming young businessman living in London, with a dull job and a pretty but demanding fiancee. Then one night he stumbles across a girl bleeding on the sidewalk. He stops to help her - and the life he knows vanishes like smoke. Several hours later, the girl is gone too. And by the following morning Richard Mayhew has been erased from his world. His bank cards no longer work, taxi drivers won't stop for him, his landlord rents his apartment out to strangers. He has become invisible, and inexplicably consigned to a London of shadows and darkness - to a city of monsters and saints, murderers and angels, that exists entirely in a subterranean labyrinth of sewer canals and abandoned subway stations. He has fallen through the cracks of reality and has landed somewhere different, somewhere that is Neverwhere. For this is the home of Door, the mysterious girl whom Richard rescued in the London Above. A personage of great power and nobility in this murky, candlelit realm, she is on a mission to discover the cause of her family's slaughter, and in doing so preserve this strange underworld kingdom from the malevolence that means to destroy it. And with nowhere else to turn, Richard Mayhew must now join the Lady Door's entourage in their determined - and possibly fatal - quest. For the dread journey ever-downward - through bizarre anachronisms and dangerous incongruities, and into dusty corners of stalled time - is Richard's final hope, his last road back to a "real" world that is growing disturbingly less real by the minute.

Các file đính kèm:

beobeo, cam_tn, Envy90 and 9 others like this.
  8. poppy_chip

poppy_chip Sinh viên năm IV

ashn2k
    Bác học

[​IMG]

Stardust
    by Neil Gaiman

Mình rất thích khi coi phim này, vừa lãng mạn nhưng rất huyền ảo( ~^^~ đúng style ). Trước đọc mấy quyển cùng tác giả mới biết ông í viết tiểu thuyết rồi mới làm thành phim.

Stardust (1998) is the second solo prose novel by Vui lòng đăng nhập hoặc đăng ký để xem linkGaiman. It is usually published as a novel with illustrations by Charles Vess. Stardust has a different tone and style from most of Gaiman's prose fiction, being consciously written in the tradition of pre-Tolkien English fantasy, following in the footsteps of authors such as Lord Dunsany. It is concerned with the adventures of a young man from the village of Wall, which borders the magical land of Faerie.

In 2007, a film based on the book was released to generally positive reviews. Gaiman has also occasionally made references to writing a sequel, or at least another book concerning the village of Wall.

Các file đính kèm:

beobeo, cam_tn, Envy90 and 13 others like this.
  9. conguyen

conguyen Sinh viên năm IV

[​IMG]

Trích:

Coraline lives with her preoccupied parents in part of a huge old house--a house so huge that other people live in it, too... round, old former actresses Miss Spink and Miss Forcible and their aging Highland terriers ("We trod the boards, luvvy") and the mustachioed old man under the roof ("'The reason you cannot see the mouse circus,' said the man upstairs, 'is that the mice are not yet ready and rehearsed.'") Coraline contents herself for weeks with exploring the vast garden and grounds. But with a little rain she becomes bored--so bored that she begins to count everything blue (153), the windows (21), and the doors (14). And it is the 14th door that--sometimes blocked with a wall of bricks--opens up for Coraline into an entirely alternate universe. Now, if you're thinking fondly ofThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe or Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, you're on the wrong track. Neil Gaiman's Coraline is far darker, far stranger, playing on our deepest fears. And, like Roald Dahl's work, it is delicious. What's on the other side of the door? A distorted-mirror world, containing presumably everything Coraline has ever dreamed of... people who pronounce her name correctly (not "Caroline"), delicious meals (not like her father's overblown "recipes"), an unusually pink and green bedroom (not like her dull one), and plenty of horrible (very un-boring) marvels, like a man made out of live rats. The creepiest part, however, is her mirrored parents, her "other mother" and her "other father"--people who look just like her own parents, but with big, shiny, black button eyes, paper-white skin... and a keen desire to keep her on their side of the door. To make creepy creepier, Coraline has been illustrated masterfully in scritchy, terrifying ink drawings by British mixed-media artist and Sandman cover illustrator Dave McKean. This delightful, funny, haunting, scary as heck, fairy-tale novel is about as fine as they come. Highly recommended.

Nguồn e-thuvien.com

Các file đính kèm:

Chỉnh sửa cuối: 27/8/14
    beobeo, cam_tn, Envy90 and 9 others like this.
  10. zeus000

zeus000 Mầm non

[​IMG]

Fortunately, the Milk
    by Neil Gaiman, Skottie Young
    Description

"I bought the milk," said my father. "I walked out of the corner shop, and heard a noise like this: T h u m m t h u m m. I looked up and saw a huge silver disc hovering in the air above Marshall Road."

"Hullo," I said to myself. "That's not something you see every day. And then something odd happened."

Find out just how odd things get in this hilarious story of time travel and breakfast cereal, expertly told by Newbery Medalist and bestselling author Neil Gaiman and illustrated by Skottie Young.

About the Author

Neil Gaiman has written highly acclaimed books for both children and adults. He has won many major awards, including the Hugo and the Nebula, and his New York Times bestselling novel The Graveyard Book is the only work ever to win both the Newbery (US) and Carnegie (UK) Medals. His books for readers of all ages include the bestselling Coraline, also an Academy Award-nominated film; Fortunately, the Milk; Odd and the Frost Giants; and The Wolves in the Walls. Originally from England, Gaiman now lives in the United States.

Publisher: HarperCollins
    Kindle Book
    ISBN:9780062224095
    Release date:Sep 17, 2013

Các file đính kèm:

beobeo, aaaaa, cam_tn and 9 others like this.
  11. hippoxd

hippoxd Mầm non

Cảm ơn bạn rất nhiều xD

12. Volamtruonglao

Volamtruonglao Lớp 1

thanks.

Chia sẻ trang này